Recipes: Tex-Mex Black Bean & Quinoa Bowl
January 3, 2019
Tex-Mex Black Bean & Quinoa Bowl
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4½ cups very thinly sliced cabbage (about ¼ medium head)
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup salsa
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in cumin. Partially cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add cabbage and onion; toss to coat.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add poblano and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in beans and chili powder; cook, stirring until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- To serve, layer in each bowl: ¾ cup quinoa, ½ cup bean mixture, and ¼ cup cheese. Top each portion with ¾ cup cabbage salad and 2 tablespoons salsa.
- Serving size: about 2¼ cups
- Per serving: 479 calories; 22 g fat(7 g sat); 12 g fiber; 53 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 174 mcg folate; 29 mg cholesterol; 11 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,031 IU vitamin A; 57 mg vitamin C; 301 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 681 mg sodium; 827 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (95% daily value), Folate (44% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (22% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv)